To Main Content
Text Size:
Text Size 1 Text Size 2 Text Size 3

Fair Housing

 Fair Housing |  Grievances and Appeals
The Fair Housing Act prohibits discrimination in housing based on your race, color, national origin, religion, sex, family status (includingchildren under the age of 18 living with parents or legal custodians; pregnant women and people securing custody of children under 18), or disability.
If you believe that your rights have been violated while you have been trying to buy or rent a home/apartment, you can file a fair housing complaint with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
We suggest that you visit their web site for additional (and useful) information, including what to do when you need help quickly. You can file a complaint on-line with HUD or call them at 1-800-669-9777.
If you are disabled, HUD also provides a TTY for the hearing impaired (1-800-927-9275), interpreters, Braille, and help completing the forms.


Or read and complete HUD's " Are You A Victim of Housing Discrimination" form. Instructions on where to mail the form are included.






Additionally, it is illegal under Montgomery County law to discriminate in real estate transactions on the basis of marital status, sexual orientation or source of income
(such as a housing subsidy).

Contact the County Office of Human Rights at (240) 777-8450
for more information.

If you have a question about Fair Housing and your participation in an HOC program, please contact (240) 627-9761.

Grievances and Appeals

HOC residents of Public and Opportunity Housing have the right to request an informal grievance hearing where complaints against alleged arbitrary, unfair, or illegal practices can be aired and resolved. Participants of the Housing Choice Voucher program may request an informal grievance hearing only in matters pertaining to the termination of their assistance or reasonable accomodation.

For complete details, please read the HOC Grievance Procedures.