Due to the increasing demand for affordable housing in Montgomery County, HOC needs your help to ensure that deserving families across the County find safe and decent housing.
How it Works
Through the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program, HOC pays a portion of the tenant's rent directly to the landlord. As the landlord, you have the responsibility of screening and selecting the tenant, collecting the rent, maintaining the property, and terminating the lease, if appropriate.
Families have the same rights and responsibilities as unassisted families. Property owners have the same rights and responsibilities of landlords renting to unassisted families.
Advantages of Renting to a Family in the HCV Program
Thousands of rental property owners partner with HOC to provide high-quality, yet affordable housing for individuals, families, the elderly and people with disabilities because it’s beneficial to all.
If you become an HOC landlord, you will benefit from:
- Monthly subsidy payment from HOC -- guaranteed and on-time!
- The right to screen and select the tenant;
- An annual inspection of the unit, at HOC expense, to ensure your property is well-maintained;
- Subsidy payments maybe increased to compensate for tenant's lower income, thereby protecting landlord from financial loss if the tenant suffers from unexpected financial hardship;
- If the family leaves the unit prior to the termination of the lease, you may keep the subsidy payment for the month in which the family leaves;
- You will be helping low-income individuals and families find suitable homes in your community.
You can list your property online!
For additional information about participation in the HCV program, HOC has prepared the Landlord Resource Manual.